KS3 – Extended Reading List (All available from school library)
Lord of the Rings trilogy - J .R.R. Tolkien
The War of the Worlds - H. G Wells
Iron Man – Ted Hughes
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
Lord of the Flies – William Golding
Through the Looking Glass – Lewis Carroll
The Secret Garden – Frances Hogson Burnett
Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
Animal Farm – George Orwell
Goodnight Mr Tom - Michelle Magorian
Boy – Roald Dahl
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
Useful websites and online resources for students of English
A word of warning: these sites and links were all functional at the time of posting, but it cannot be guaranteed that web addresses will not change. Sites and resources rarely disappear entirely; if a link does not work, try a Google search.
- This is a gateway to thousands of newspapers around the world.
- Sister site to paperboy but allowing access to international magazines.
- This is The Guardian’s archive and contains a wealth of articles from 1899-1999.Type in key dates (or the day after) for useful resources.
- This British library site gives access to pictures, biographies, text and spoken records of historical events.
- Try going online to the fruit machine on this site
- This site has a whole variety of resources to support the English National Curriculum. Media analysis is a strong strand of the KS4 curriculum so this site contains useful resources and lesson ideas. The site contains some on-line lessons which students will enjoy.
- This site contains activities designed to help students engage with the media. Sections on investigating magazines, newspapers etc are useful and offer resources as well as teaching ideas.
- Aimed at UK GCSE students.
- Hundreds of language- based ‘how to’ guides and quizzes based on higher level texts.
- is the British Council’s subject gateway for literature
- A collection of online texts
- A collection of video extracts
- Collapser is a utility to turn any text into a sorted list at the click of the Go! button. You can use any text, including material from a web page or a word processed document, to produce activities that give fascinating insights into vocabulary and grammar.
- Hot Potatoes is a utility which enables you to author 6 different types of interactive activity: Quiz; Match; Mix; Cloze; Crossword; Sequence
- Inspiration is a concept mapping tool which enables you to set up frameworks such as brainstorms, storyboards, mind maps for students to complete (or they can create them from scratch themselves).